|Podalanga Manathakkali Keerai Kootu|
- 1 Ash gourd - cleaned and chopped
- 1 bunch Black Nightshade Greens (Manathakkali Keerai)
- 1/2 cup channa dal (kadala paruppu / bengal gram)
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 small tomato
- 4 garlic flakes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 dry red chilies
- asofoetida - a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5 curry leaves
- Cook the greens in 3 cup water for 15 mins and preserve the water. Take out the leaves alone and grind in a mixer.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pressure cooker and tamper mustard seeds. Add broken red chilies and saute a while.
- Add chopped onions, garlic flakes and curry leaves. Fry for few mins. Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp.
- Add Chopped ash gourd and washed channa dal. Mix well. Add green paste, turmeric powder, asofoetida and salt to taste.
- Add preserved green water and close the lid. Cook for 5-6 whistles and remove from the heat. Serve hot with rasam rice.