|Channa Mutton Masala (Aatu Kari Kadalai Varuval)|
- 1/2 cup white chickpeas (kabuli channa) - soaked overnight in water
- 250 gms mutton
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small tomato
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- asofeotida - a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Boil chickpeas in water for 15 mins. Pressure cook mutton with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, little salt and 1/2 cup water for 20 whistles if the meat is tender. Otherwise cook it for 15 whistles.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Once chickpeas cooked, drain the water completely. Keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Tamper mustard seeds, asofeotida and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and fry for few mins.
- Add chopped tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste. Mash the pulp. Add cooked mutton and chickpeas.
- Mix well. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt to taste. Add mutton cooked water too. Close and cook for 15 mins.
- Add pepper powder and cumin powder. Cook for another 10 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot with rice or roti.